Monday, September 19

Mark Sultan - The Sultan of Swing

After a brief encounter with Hunx and His Punx, I began ripping apart the garage/lo-fi genre with the flare of new love and found Mark Sultan. When i first "discovered" him, i sat on my bed for about two days taking in song after song. Each time, i couldn't deny the shaking of my foot and the airy feeling in my head. It doesn't take much effort to pin down his influences. Every song is full of the same spunk and candor of a genuine love for rock n' roll. It's just that fantastic.
Driving around with his voice and guitar making fuck with my speakers is an experience that makes the ladies knees wobble (mine included). In fact, the entire lo-fi/garage rock genre could brings tears to Apollo's eyes with it's lack of austerity and underlying tones of pure orgasmic harmonies.
Something about the whole genre is raw and honest and much like Jay Reatard (R.I.P.), Mark Sultan is right on the cusp of, "too good vs. not even met his full potential".
I grew up with Oldies and Classic Rock shoved down my throat so when i hear music that clearly pronounces a dedication to either, i'm hooked. Mark Sultan makes it seem so natural and graceful, it's as if it's as simple as an exhale of breath for the guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment