Thursday, March 31

Peachy Memorieez

My discovery of The Unicorns came about during the early stages of MySpace when i "met" a Canadian girl with the alias "Violet" back when it was all about the profile song. She recommended a few select tracks which i still hold dearly and i'd give anything to tell her all about "Clues" and how much better they've worked "The Unicorns" roots than "Islands" ever did.
"Peach Moon" was the song that captivated me and fresh out of my, "punk music for life" stage - the indie gods themselves opened a door for me. I remember recommended the band to a select few and after some fuzzy feedback decided that i should just explore the genre myself.
I recall downloading the entire discography of The Unicorns while my jungled-fevered ex-roommates, who also happened to be proud nudist, were out doing whatever is that nudist do when they're not prancing around naked in their home. This was a time when At The Drive In lyrics still struck a chord somewhere deep inside of me with their lack of meaning. The Unicorns shared the same appeal "Headless body in a topless bar" and "i watched you spill your guts on that brand new dress" from "Gut Stains" are prime examples of this achievement. But unlike At the Drive-In, who i've sadly found myself listening to less and less... and less - The Unicorns still remain dear to my heart for reasons i can't explain. I guess because they opened me up to a whole new world of music and emotions outside of post-breakup angst. Because despite the cheeky sounds, there is still a dark edge that just can't be ignored and i'd still rank them up high on my list of indie bands.



Peach Moon



Peach Moon (the version the reeled me in)

No comments:

Post a Comment